Ice-fishing is not only a hobby, even competitions are organized all over Finland! I had the opportunity to try it last spring few times when the temperature wasn’t anymore too low but the ice on the lakes was still thick.
It is more complicated than normal fishing, but you should definitely try if you have a chance! Now the weather is not (so) cold, but the lakes are still frozen.
- First, you need an ice-drill! You will have to drill a hole through the ice.
2. Prepare your bait (we used little worms, you can buy them in supermarkets, in Finland no need to go to special fishing shop)
3. Start fishing (move the rod up time-to-time). Ice fishing rods are much shorter than normal ones.
4. Be patient 🙂
5. If you did not catch anything in the first 30 minutes, move along and drill a new hole!
In case you see a fish, don’t get too excited and drop it back – I did, – but I was very happy as it was a big one.
6. If you did catch something, enjoy your dinner!